Thursday, November 5, 2009

Patience is a Virture.....

In my scripture reading this morning I found a few power-packed verses that I love.....They remind of the need for patience in affliction as we prepare for the Lord's return and build Zion. I started out in Doctrine and Covenants 63. Verse 58 read, "For this is a day of warning, and not a day of many word." The section closed with verse 66 which reads, "These things remain to overcome through patience, that such may receive a more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, otherwise, a greater condemnation."

I love any motivation that I can find to help me endure, so I looked up the footnotes of this scripture. I found a small treasure trove. I wanted to share so here goes.....

2 Cor. 4:17-18 "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Romans 8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

Doctrine and Covenants 58:4 "For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand."

Doctrine and Covenants 136:31-33, "My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.
Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God that his eyes may be opened that he may see and his ears opened that he may hear;
For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly."

Last but not least I have added one that I've been trying to memorize

Doctrine and Covenants 54:10 "And again, be patient in tribulation until I come; and, behold I come quickly, and my reward is with me, and they who have sought me early shall find rest to their souls. Even so. Amen."

The meat of the course that I received was to be warned, be prepared, and overall ENDURE in FAITH....it will be worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Nanny...you inspire me and seem to know just what to say. My patience lately is little and my complaining BIG. Ahhh..perspective and faith. Thanks. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! My first comment! Thanks Les, I love you. By the way....hang in there. If you ever need to chat, you know my number.

    ReplyDelete