Sunday, November 8, 2009

Growing Pains

I've come to the conclusion that child delivery is the easiest part of motherhood. I'm sure you are begging for an explanation.....(especially those of you who have delivered naturally, and YES I've done that too.) So here are my thoughts......

Tonight I imparted the sobering news of our beloved kitty's passing to three heart-broken little chickies. As I type, my oldest is whimpering softly in her bed.

Watching on while your 9-day-old baby endures a spinal-tap, pick-line, and all the other poking and prodding of medical professionals (of whom I am greatly indebted too and love for their devotion, love, and hard work)

Dropping your baby off to pre-school for the first time.

Holding the quivering little body of the child who just lost a favorite grand-parent.

Rubbing the aching joints that growing pains bring, inevitably in the middle of the night.

Watching the tears roll down the rosy cheeks of your child when it's time for their favorite puppy to be sold (we raise dogs)

Explaining why the bottle calf had to go

Comforting a grade-schooler who no one seemed to want to play with during recess that particular day.

Strapping the seat-belts on the car seats as we leave Grandpa's and Grandma's house for home, which just happens to be two states away.

Know that I'm not complaining, only lamenting the growing pains that my heart feels as I watch my babies grow. I'm sure there will be many more teary times. Especially with three girls! There will be boyfriends and heartbreaks, grades and tough classes, trouble with friends, more experiences of loss.....all the drama that comes with growing to womanhood. And yet....I'll take it because along with great pain comes greater joy. The joy may often take it's own sweet time coming but I testify to you that IT WILL COME. The Lord's time is frequently far different from our timing, but in the end he will right all the wrongs.

So here is my advice to myself and all others who may want it......

"...for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." Doctrine and Covenants 101:16

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Thanks Amanda you are a great friend and I love the reminder that those are Growing Pains, we are growing from them !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See...you made me cry...thanks for letting me know I am not the only Mom with growing pains. They are just different.

    ReplyDelete