Friday, March 27, 2009

Comforting Chicken--Amanda Blazzard

I clipped this recipe from a cooking magazine years ago. I threw it together for lunch today and am still lickin' my fingers...it was tasty! Of coarse I can't leave a recipe alone so to this I added about a teaspoon of Herbs de Provence to season it and add a little more flavor. I served cornbread muffins along side and it made a great stick-to-your ribs kinda meal for a snowy spring day.....oh and I used my Dutch Oven.

1 medium onion, sliced an separated into rings (I used a scallion)

1/2 c. butter (I substituted olive oil for about 1/3 of the butter to bring up the smoking point and health benefits....cuz that's a LOT of butter! We're talkin' Paula Deen style!)

1 broiler/fryer chicken 3-4 lbs., cut up (I just had chicken leg quarters on hand)

4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

4 medium carrots, quartered (I used 5, but wished I'd have even used a couple more)

1 c. whipping cream

1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, brown chicken pieces on all sides. Return onion to pan; add potatoes and carrots. (This is where I threw in the Herbs de Provence.) Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment