Saturday, April 10, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

We love breakfast for dinner at our house. Wednesday we ate waffles and pan fried ham and eggs for dinner. It is nothing elegant or fancy, but it is sure a tasty, easy dinner. Those are the kinds I like. I decided to share with you my favorite waffle recipe and tips.

Farm House Waffles

1 c. flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 lg. eggs, seperated
2 c. buttermilk
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat a waffle iron. In a large bowl, sift (I use a whisk) the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, melted stick of butter (of course I use my small micro cooker to melt my butter so that it dosen't end up all over my microwave) and vanilla. Pour into the dry mixture, and whilk just until combined.

3. In the clean medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold the whites into the batter.

4. Preheat the oven 200 degrees. I place my stoneware bar pan in the oven. (It will help the waffles to stay warm and crisp.) Butter your waffle iron and using the large scoop, add 2 scoops of batter to the iron. (I love the precise measurement that the scoop offers. You will love that your waffle iron will not overflow!) Bake 3-5 minutes or until no steam escapes from the iron.

5. Continue cooking the crisp little beauties until you're done! Remember to keep the cooked waffles on your stoneware in the oven until you are ready to serve them. Enjoy with your favorite syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment