Thursday, December 3, 2009

Giving Love

I love the Christmas season! The tender stories, feelings, and kindness that others share is tremendous. I love picking out gifts for my loved ones and I especially love to find a special service to perform each year. With this idea in mind I have to share the great website that I found.

Family Circle magazine had an article called Double Gifting. The idea interested me greatly! I checked out all the links in the article. My favorite is http://www.thehungersite.org/. What an amazing shopping experience I had there. I placed an order and was extremely impressed with the products that promptly arrived at my door. Each purchase that I made supported a real cause in a real way. Through my little order 175 cups of food, 2 % of a mammogram, and 13 books to help children's literacy were donated. I felt amazing when I submitted my order. Shipping is ALWAYS $3.95/order (no lie). When I received and opened my order I was so impressed with the quality of workmanship of the products.
Here is a sampling of some of my favorites.......


The first is a carved Acacia Bowl. The second are hand-knit, Alpaca finger-puppets
hand made in Peru. The third picture is a gently-hammered sterling silver and gold plated ring made in India. I have to copy the info for the fourth because I can't share the info as well as they did......
"Handmade by a women's cooperative in New Delhi, India that creates accessories from antique saris which would otherwise be burned to recover their gold or silver content. By putting old saris to use in new handbags, the original craftsmanship is preserved, each bag becomes a new work of art, and the women of the cooperative earn much-needed income to care for their children and households. Expect each bag to vary and be a bit unique -- just like the women who once wore the original saris."
Again for the last description I have to rely on their sites info.....
"Each hat is hand-knit by the women of Kumbeshwar Technical School. KTS is an educational and vocational non-profit in Nepal with a mission to help women and families who are discriminated against due to Nepal's caste system. KTS provides free three month knitting classes to women in the community so they can learn to knit for their own families, then offers employment opportunities to those women who would like to earn a sustainable income."

One more amazing thing that I want to share about this site is that you can purchase "Gifts that Give More"....for instance, for $40 you can give goats to Rwandan families, $25 will help to feed U.S. children, $10 immunizes 5 children in Burma, $20 gives refugee children dolls, $27 for a pig micro loan....the list goes on and on.
I just had to share with all of you.....help me share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment